Energy 101 class is back in session.
In this episode, geothermal expert Joe Batir takes us on a journey to understand geothermal energy and why it is a reliable and dispatchable baseload renewable energy.
We dive into:
- What is geothermal energy, and how is it generated?
- Is geothermal new?
- Why is it getting resurgence?
- How do geothermal power plants work?
- What are the main challenges in harnessing geothermal energy?
- How cost-effective is geothermal energy compared to other renewable energy sources?
- What is the current global capacity for geothermal energy production, and which countries lead in this technology?
- Can geothermal energy be used for both electricity generation and direct heating applications?
- What is the future outlook for geothermal energy? How can it contribute to global energy demands?
- Are there any synergies between the oil and gas industry and the geothermal sector, such as technology or infrastructure?
- How can existing oil and gas wells be repurposed for geothermal energy production?