In this episode of Energy 101, Sydney and Julie are joined by special guest Marshall Long to discuss the recent developments with ERCOT and the Texas grid. Marshall Long is an industry expert and provides valuable insights into the workings of the Texas grid and the role of ancillary services. The conversation covers topics such as the challenges faced by the grid, the importance of large flexible loads like Bitcoin miners, and the revenue streams for miners through ancillary services and selling power back to the market. The discussion sheds light on common misconceptions regarding ERCOT and emphasizes the complexity of the grid.
- Texas has a unique deregulated grid, with a real-time market for supply and demand.
- The Texas grid faces challenges with limited tie flows and load zones.
- Ancillary services play a critical role in maintaining grid stability, with large flexible loads like Bitcoin miners participating in programs to regulate frequency.
- Revenue streams for miners come from ancillary service payments and selling excess power back to the real-time market.
- It is essential to understand that ancillary service payments do not come from taxpayers but are necessary fees to ensure grid stability.
- Misconceptions persist about the grid, and it is important to have informed discussions about its functioning and complexities.
Connect with Marshall on Twitter: @OGBTC